Refrigeration & Air Conditioning System Mechanic (313A)
* This program does not require approval under the Private Career Colleges Act, 2005
Preparing to write the Certification of Qualification exam 313A?
What Does a Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Systems Mechanic Do?
Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Systems Mechanics (313A) plan, prepare and lay out any cooling system or heating-cooling system that is used in a residential, commercial, institutional or industrial refrigeration setting. They install and start up refrigeration and air cooling systems, connect piping, and maintain, service, repair and replace refrigeration and air cooling systems components and accessories. The NOC Code for this trade is: 7313.
Job Related Skills, Values and Interests:
● reading and interpreting blueprints, design specifications and written instructions
● using hand and power tools in order to install equipment in homes, restaurants, supermarkets, hospitals and anywhere where cooling systems are operating
● measuring, marking and laying out an area where equipment is to be installed
● detecting why equipment or systems are not working, and fixing it
● adapting and applying knowledge of cooling systems to a variety of situations
● working independently or as part of a team to get the job done within deadlines
● communicating and interacting effectively with co-workers and customers
The course offers a review of the following topics:
● Electrical-magnetic fundamentals
● Electric motors, circuits & controls
● Fundamentals of air conditioning
● Refrigerant recovery/recycling/reclaiming
● Air distributions, measurement & cleaning
● Commercial systems-heatlLoads & piping
● Servicing & nstalling small hermetic hystems
● Refrigeration hystems and compressors/refrigerant controls
● Absorption systems-principles & applications
● Special refrigeration systems & applications
● Heating and humidifying systems / cooling and dehumidifying systems
● Central air conditioning & heat pumps/solar energy
● Air conditioning systems-heating & cooling loads
● Passing Technician Certification exams / Technical characteristics
● Automotive air conditioning
● Servicing & troubleshooting
● Domestic refrigerators & freezers
Registration is open to anyone 18 years of age or older. This course is recommended for persons with related experience.
What’s Your Future as a Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Systems Mechanic?
Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Systems Mechanics generally work full-time, mostly indoors, in specific work locations that largely depend on the location of the installation or repair work. Most Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Systems Mechanics find employment with :
● plumbing, heating and air conditioning construction firms
● mechanical construction firms
● commercial refrigerator and air conditioner manufacturers
● appliance, television, radio and stereo stores
● may also become self-employed
Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Systems Mechanics must keep up to date with changes in their trade as new computer technology is introduced.
● Apprentices usually start at a wage rate about half that of a journeyperson
● This rate increases gradually until the final six months of your apprenticeship when you are earning from 85% to 90% of a journeyperson’s wage
● Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Systems Mechanics can earn anywhere from $14.00/hr to $35.00/hr depending on what geographic area they live in, often with employee benefits and opportunities to work overtime